What: Nancy Altman and Stuart Altman (no relation) will each receive the 2018 Robert M. Ball Award, presented by the National Academy of Social Insurance (the Academy). Since 2004, the Academy has presented the Ball Award to individuals whose recent work has made a significant impact on the U.S. social insurance system. Nancy Altman and Stuart Altman have both devoted their careers to solving challenges facing our Social Security and healthcare systems. Each continues to work towards strengthening the social insurance programs on which all Americans rely. Nancy Altman is currently president of Social Security Works and chair of the Strengthen Social Security coalition. Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi appointed Altman to a six-year term on the Social Security Advisory Board starting in October 2017. Stuart Altman is the Sol C. Chaikin Professor of National Health Policy at The Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University. For decades, Altman has worked to improve health policy from multiple vantage points, including as a government official, as an adviser to Congress, to more than a few Senators, and to the State of Massachusetts, and as a teacher of future leaders. This award honors Bob Ball, Commissioner of Social Security (1962-1973). For over 60 years, Bob Ball worked tirelessly to advance our nation’s social insurance programs.
When: Award presentation will take place on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 ~ 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm
Where: National Press Club (529 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20045)
Guest Speakers Include:
- Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
- David Kautter, Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, U.S. Department of the Treasury and Acting Commissioner, Internal Revenue Service
- Eric Kingson, Professor of Social Work, Syracuse University
- Jonathan Ball, Board Secretary, Social Security Works
- Chris Jennings, President, Jennings Policy Strategies
- Karen Ignagni, Chief Executive Officer, EmblemHealth
- Chip Kahn, Chief Executive Officer, Federation of American Hospitals
- Karen Feinstein, President, Jewish Foundation of Pittsburgh
The National Academy of Social Insurance is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization made up of the nation’s leading experts on social insurance. Its mission is to advance solutions to challenges facing the nation by increasing public understanding of how social insurance contributes to economic security.
Janel Forsythe National Academy of Social Insurance (202) 243-7286 firstname.lastname@example.org